Sunday 3 April 2016

Wow! (1982)



Rummaging through old British comics I came across Wow!, which I had vaguely heard of but never seen, so decided to pick up a couple of copies to see what it was like. I have to say the cover story Shipwreck School did appeal!

Published in the regular format of IPC/Fleetway this was a short lived title that ran from 1982 to 1983 for just 56 issues before merging with the better selling and more popular Whoppee!. 

This was a humour only comic, something that seems unique to British comics and contained a number of strips that were fairly standard fair. Kid Comic (the stand up type), Adam and his Ants, Creepy Comix, Boy Boss and Barney's Badges were amongst the features that would amuse us "kids" and (ahem) older readers alike.

Just one drawback. The centre colour pages are devoted to a certain discredited Australian artist but we were none the wiser back in those days.

Whilst not high on my collecting list I'm happy to have a couple of examples of this comic in my collection.



The first and last issues of Wow!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment